Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Thanks for saving me from myself.


Last night, as I was making my sorrel and lovage soup, Tony asked, "Why are we always eating weeds?"

"Because greens are a lifesaver," I shot back.

That said, my husband has been a real trooper for the past six months as I've cooked my way through what is, I must admit, an obsession with greens. So thanks, Tony, for that pathetic plea. Otherwise, this beautiful weed growing under my crepe myrtle would have been in the pot for dinner tonight.

4 comments:

  1. my grandmother Rose used dandelion greens and they were so good. She sauteed them in olive oil and garlic. I'm sure there was more to it than that but that's what I remember. Rose also used Burdock leaves and root to make an incredible dish of greens. Never thought about how many "weeds" we ate! Sorry Tony, I see many more weeds in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, and I think that's probably why Anna's middle name is Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, I have been on this massive Green Leafy campaign for the past 3 months...it is difficult to find fresh spinach up north, but I have found it...trucked in from Italy (hate those CO2 pollutants versus locally grown...). So ever salad now has a major portion of fresh spinach, rucola, and green leaf lettuce...and like you say I also have this "obsession with greens."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's my new favorite dressing for any type of greens, steamed or sauteed. I mix it up in a jar and keep it in the fridge. You just need a little. It's yummy, especially when you toss with the greens while they are still hot!

    3 T soy sauce
    2 T rice wine vinegar
    1 T honey
    1 teaspoon sesame oil
    toasted sesame seeds

    ReplyDelete